flink-user mailing list archives

From Biplob Biswas <revolutioni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Evolving serializers and impact on flink managed states
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:57:54 GMT
Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for such a helpful response. That really made thing a lot
clearer for me. Although at this point I have one more and probably last
question.

According to the Flink documentation,

[Attention] Currently, as of Flink 1.3, if the result of the compatibility
check acknowledges that state migration needs to be performed, the job
simply fails to restore from the checkpoint as state migration is currently
not available. The ability to migrate state will be introduced in future
releases.

Now if I end up using AvroSerialization with RocksDB, I am assuming state
migration wouldn't be needed as the Avro serializer should automatically be
compatible with the older versions as well and thus my job wouldn't be
affected by this inability for state migrations.

Does my assumption sound correct? Can I expect this behaviour?

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Biplob