flink-user mailing list archives

From Jins George <jins.geo...@aeris.net>
Subject Re: System properties when submitting flink job to YARN Session
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:21:24 GMT
Hi Aljoscha,

I am still using Beam on Flink. I have one yarn session running multiple
streaming jobs. The application jar contains some environment specific
run time properties( like ip addresses, rest api end points etc). This
adds overhead in my usecase as we have to deploy this in multiple
environments.  I was trying to decouple these properties files from the
uber jar and provide as as either a classpath resource or pass the path
of the file as a system property to the jvm.

So far I noticed following options to achieve this.

  * put all properties in a file and use /--classpath/ file://<path to
    file> option  in /flink run /command . This needs the url to be
    accessible from all nodes, something like NFS
  * use -D in yarn-session to pass each properties. This will need to
    restart the yarn session if a new property gets added.

An ideal solution for me would to provide a local classpath to flink run
command and that gets propagated to other workers automatically :)

Thanks,
Jins
On 07/12/2017 02:25 AM, Aljoscha Krettek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, setting the property using -D when creating the session should work to make it available
on all workers. I think after that it cannot be changed since they JVMs are already running.

> If I may ask, what’s your use case for this? Are you still using Beam on Flink or are
you using vanilla Flink with this?

> Best,
> Aljoscha
>
>> On 11. Jul 2017, at 07:24, Jins George <jins.george@aeris.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Nico. I am able to pass arguments to the  main program, that works, but not
exactly that I was looking for.

>> I guess to have all worker jvms the same  system property,  I have to set it at yarn-session
creation time using -D ( haven't tried it yet)