flink-user mailing list archives

From Carst Tankink <ctank...@bol.com>
Subject Flink-derrived operator names cause issues in Graphite metrics
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:45:50 GMT
Hi,

We accidentally forgot to give some operators in our flink stream a custom/unique name, and
ran into the following exception in Graphite:
‘exceptions.IOError: [Errno 36] File name too long: '/<pathToJob>/<jobName>/TriggerWindow_SlidingEventTimeWindows_600000_-600000__-FoldingStateDescriptor_serializer=org-apache-flink-api-common-typeutils-base-IntSerializer_655523dd_-initialValue=0_-foldFunction=<functionQualifiedName>_24e08d59__-EventTimeTrigger___-WindowedStream-fold_AllWindowedStream-java:<lineNo>
__/0/buffers/inputQueueLength.wsp'

(some placeholders because it might reveal too much about our platform, sorry. The actual
filename is quite a bit longer).

The problem seems to be that Flink uses toString for the operator if no name is set, and the
graphite exporter does not sanitize the output for length.
Is this something that should be posted as a bug?  Or a known limitation that we missed in
the documentation?

Thanks,
Caarst