flink-user mailing list archives

From Ray Ruvinskiy <ray.ruvins...@arcticwolf.com>
Subject At what point do watermarks get injected into the stream?
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:46:05 GMT
I’m trying to build a mental model of how watermarks get injected into the stream. Suppose
I have a stream with a parallel source, and I’m running a cluster with multiple task managers.
Does each parallel source reader inject watermarks, which are then forwarded to downstream
consumers and shuffled between task managers? Or are watermarks created after the shuffle,
when the stream records reach their destined task manager and right before they’re processed
by the operator?

Thanks,

Ray