flink-user mailing list archives

From Mikhail Pryakhin <m.prya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RichMapFunction setup method
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:04:20 GMT
Hi Chesnay,
Thanks for the reply,

> The existing signature for open() is a remnant of the past.

Should the method be deprecated then so that it doesn’t confuse users?

Kind Regards,
Mike Pryakhin

> On 13 Jun 2017, at 16:54, Chesnay Schepler <chesnay@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The existing signature for open() is a remnant of the past.
>
> We currently recommend to pass all arguments through the constructor and store them in
fields.
> You can of course also pass a Configuration containing all parameters.
>
> On 13.06.2017 15:46, Mikhail Pryakhin wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> A RichMapFunction [1] provides a very handy setup method RichFunction#open(org.apache.flink.configuration.Configuration)
which consumes a Configuration instance as an argument, but this argument doesn't bear any
configuration parameters because it is always passed to the method as a new instance. [2]
depicts the problem.

>> Is there any way to pass configuration parameters to the  RichFunction#open method
via the Configuration parameter? Or is it a bug?