flink-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Kafka Consumer
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 14:36:01 GMT
Hi Simone,

Glad I could help ;)

Actually it would be great if you could also try out the upcoming (not yet released) 1.3 version

and let us know if you find something that does not work as expected.

We are currently in the phase of testing it, as you may have noticed, and every contribution
that front is more than welcomed.

Cheers,
Kostas

> On May 16, 2017, at 4:30 PM, simone <simone.povoscania@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kostas,
>
> thanks for your suggestion. Indeed, replacing my custom sink with a simpler one problem
bring out that the cause of the problem was RowToQuery as you suggested. The sink was blocking
the reads making the Kafka pipeline stall, due to a misconfiguration of an internal client
that is calling an external service.

> Thanks for your help,
> Simone.
>
> On 16/05/2017 14:01, Kostas Kloudas wrote:
>> Hi Simone,
>>
>> I suppose that you use messageStream.keyBy(…).window(…) right? .windowAll() is
not applicable to keyedStreams.

>> Some follow up questions are:
>>
>> In your logs, do you see any error messages?
>> What does your RowToQuery() sink do? Can it be that it blocks and the back pressure
makes all the pipeline stall?
>> To check that, you can:
>> 	1) check the webui for backpressure metrics
>>  	2) replace your sink with a dummy one that just prints whatever it receives
>> 	3) or even put a flatmap after reading from Kafka (before the keyBy()) that prints
the elements before sending
>> 		them downstream, so that you know if the consumer keeps on reading.
>>
>> Let us know what is the result for the previous.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kostas
>>
>>> On May 16, 2017, at 10:44 AM, simone <simone.povoscania@gmail.com <mailto:simone.povoscania@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with Flink and Kafka queues.
>>>
>>> I have a Producer that puts some Rows into a data Sink represented by a kafka
queue and a Consumer that reads from this sink and process Rows in buckets of N elements using
custom trigger function
>>> messageStream.keyBy(0)
>>>         .windowAll(GlobalWindows.create())
>>>         .trigger(CountWithTimeoutTrigger.of(Time.seconds(30), N))
>>>         .apply(new RowToQuery());
>>>

>>> The problem is that the Consumer, stop to consume data once reached about 1000
rows.
>>> With N = 20 the consumer process 50 buckets for a total of 1000 elements.
>>> With N = 21 the consumer process 48 buckets for a total of 1008 elements.
>>> With N = 68 the consumer process 15 buckets for a total of 1020 elements. And
so on...
>>> The same happens also without using a custom trigger function, but with simple
CountTrigger function: