flink-user mailing list archives

From Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: High Availability on Yarn
Date Wed, 03 May 2017 09:05:10 GMT
Hi,
As a first comment, the work mentioned in the FLIP-6 doc you linked is still work-in-progress.
You cannot use these abstractions yet without going into the code and setting up a cluster
“by hand”.

The documentation for one-step deployment of a Job to YARN is available here: https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.2/setup/yarn_setup.html#run-a-single-flink-job-on-yarn
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.2/setup/yarn_setup.html#run-a-single-flink-job-on-yarn>

Regarding your third question, ZooKeeper is mostly used for discovery and leader election.
That is, JobManagers use it to decide who is the main JM and who are standby JMs. TaskManagers
use it to discover the leading JobManager that they should connect to.

I’m also cc’ing Till, who should know this stuff better and can maybe explain it in a
bit more detail.

Best,
Aljoscha
> On 1. May 2017, at 18:59, Jain, Ankit <ankit.jain@here.com> wrote:
>
> Hi fellow users,
> We are trying to straighten out high availability story for flink.
>
> Our setup includes a long running EMR cluster, job submission is a two-step process –
1) Flink cluster is first created using flink yarn client on the EMR cluster already running
2) Flink job is submitted.

> I also saw references that with 1.2, these two steps have been combined into 1 – is
that change in FlinkYarnSessionCli.java? Can somebody point to documentation please?

> W/o worrying about Yarn RM (not Flink Yarn RM that seems to be newly introduced) failure
for now, I want to understand first how task manager & job manager failures are handled.

> My questions-
> 1)       https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65147077 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65147077>
suggests a new RM has been added and now there is one JobManager for each job. Since Yarn
RM will now talk to Flink RM( instead of JobManager previously), will Yarn automatically restart
failing Flink RM?
> 2)       Is there any documentation on behavior of new Flink RM that will come up? How
will previously running JobManagers & TaskManagers find out about new RM?
> 3)       https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/setup/jobmanager_high_availability.html#configuration
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/setup/jobmanager_high_availability.html#configuration>
requires configuring Zookeeper even for Yarn – Is this needed for handling Task Manager
failures or JM or both? Will Yarn not take care of JM failures?

> It may sound like I am little confused between role of Yarn and Flink components– who
has the most burden of HA? Documentation in current state is lacking clarity – I know it
is still evolving.