flink-user mailing list archives

From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: questions about Flink's HashJoin performance
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 17:32:47 GMT
Hi!

Be aware that the "Row" and "Record" types are not very high performance
data types. You might be measuring the data type overhead, rather than the
hash table performance. Also, the build measurements include the data
generation, which influences the results.

If you want to purely benchmark the HashTable performance, try using
something like "Tuple2<Long, Long>" or so (or write your own custom
TypeSerializer / TypeComparator).

Stephan

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM, weijie tong <tongweijie178@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for all your enthusiastic response. Yes, My target was to try to
> find the best performance in memory. I got that.
>
> On Tue, 16 May 2017 at 4:10 PM Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Flink's HashJoin implementation was designed to gracefully handle inputs
>> that exceed the main memory.
>> It is not explicitly optimized for in-memory processing and does not play
>> fancy tricks like optimizing cache accesses or batching.
>> I assume your benchmark is about in-memory joins only. This was not the
>> main design goal when the join was implemented but robustness.
>> Since most of the development of Flink focuses on streaming applications
>> at the moment, the join implementation has barely been touched in recent
>> years (except for minor extensions and bugfixes).
>>
>> Regarding your tests, Tuple should give better performance than Row
>> because Row is null-sensitive and serialized a null-mask.
>> There is also a blog post about Flink's join performance [1] which is
>> already a bit dusty but as I said, the algorithm hasn't change much since
>> then.
>>
>> Best, Fabian
>>
>> [1] https://flink.apache.org/news/2015/03/13/peeking-into-
>> Apache-Flinks-Engine-Room.html