flink-user mailing list archives

From Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Storage options for RocksDBStateBackend
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 12:16:05 GMT
Hi Ayush,

you’re right that RocksDB is the recommend state backend because of the
above-mentioned reasons. In order to make the recovery properly work, you
have to configure a shared directory for the checkpoint data via
state.backend.fs.checkpointdir. You can basically configure any file system
which is supported by Hadoop (no HDFS required). The reason is that we use
Hadoop to bridge between different file systems. The only thing you have to
make sure is that you have the respective file system implementation in
your class path.

I think you can access Windows Azure Blob Storage via Hadoop [1] similarly
to access S3, for example.

If you use S3 to store your checkpoint data, then you will benefit from all
the advantages of S3 but also suffer from its drawbacks (e.g. that list
operations are more costly). But these are not specific to Flink.

A URL like file:// usually indicates a local file. Thus, if your Flink
cluster is not running on a single machine, then this won’t work.

[1] https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-azure/index.html

Cheers,
Till
​