flink-user mailing list archives

From "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tzuli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kafka offset commits
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2017 05:39:45 GMT
Hi,

The FlinkKafkaConsumer in 1.2 is able to restore from older version state snapshots and bridge
the migration, so there should be no problem in reading the offsets from older state. The
smallest or highest offsets will only be used if the offset no longer exists due to Kafka
data retention settings.

Besides this, there was once fix related to the Kafka 0.8 offsets for Flink 1.2.0 [1]. Shortly
put, before the fix, the committed offsets to ZK was off by 1 (wrt to how Kafka itself defines
the committed offsets).
However, this should not affect the behavior of restoring from offsets in savepoints, so it
should be fine.

Cheers,
Gordon

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4723