flink-user mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink Cross Strategies
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2017 12:00:37 GMT
The DataSet API has three methods:
- cross()
- crossWithTiny()
- crossWithHuge()

The latter two can be used to give the optimizer a hint about the size of
the inputs.
The optimizer will broadcast the smaller input to each parallel task and
perform a local cross join.
The local join will be either streamed with the smaller input being on the
inner side or blocked with the smaller input being the outer side.

Whether the streamed or blocked strategy is chosen depends on whether the
plan can leverage the preserved sort order of the outer side.

Best, Fabian