flink-user mailing list archives

From Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why I am getting Null pointer exception while accessing RuntimeContext in FlinkKafkaProducer010 ?
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:55:56 GMT
The reason for this is that FlinkKafkaProducer010 is a peculiar hybrid of a StreamSink (a subclass
of StreamOperator) and SinkFunction/RichFunction (the interface for user functions). The runtime
context of this class is only set when you use it as an operator, which happens when you use
FlinkKafkaProducer010.writeToKafkaWithTimestamps(). When used as a SinkFunction, i.e. DataStream.addSink()
this doesn’t work.

I created an issue for resolving this in a general way: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6323