flink-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Safaric <dominiksafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink 1.2 time window operation
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2017 06:37:34 GMT
Hi Gordon,

The job was run using processing time. The Kafka broker version I’ve used was 0.10.1.1.

Dominik

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 08:35, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <tzulitai@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Dominik,
>
> Was the job running with processing time or event time? If event time, how are you producing
the watermarks?
> Normally to understand how windows are firing in Flink, these two factors would be the
place to look at.
> I can try to further explain this once you provide info with these. Also, are you using
Kafka 0.10?

wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Lately I’ve been investigating onto the performance characteristics of Flink part
of our internal benchmark. Part of this we’ve developed and deployed an application that
pools data from Kafka, groups the data by a key during a fixed time window of a minute.

>> In total, the topic that the KafkaConsumer pooled from consists of 100 million messages
each of 100 bytes size. What we were expecting is that no records will be neither read nor
produced back to Kafka for the first minute of the window operation - however, this is unfortunately
not the case. Below you may find a plot showing the number of records produced per second.

>> Could anyone provide an explanation onto the behaviour shown in the graph below?
What are the reasons behind consuming/producing messages from/to Kafka while the window has
not expired yet?