flink-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Richter <s.rich...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Frequent Full GC's in case of FSStateBackend
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:50:07 GMT
Hi,

FSStateBackend operates completely on-heap and only snapshots for checkpoints go against the
file system. This is why the backend is typically faster for small states, but can become
problematic for larger states. If your state exceeds a certain size, you should strongly consider
to use RocksDB as backend. In particular, RocksDB also offers asynchronous snapshots which
is very valuable to keep stream processing running for large state. RocksDB works on native
memory/disk, so there is no GC to observe. For cases in which your state fits in memory but
GC is a problem you could try using the G1 garbage collector which offers better performance
for the FSStateBackend than the default.

Best,
Stefan

> Am 10.02.2017 um 11:16 schrieb Vinay Patil <vinay18.patil@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am doing performance test for my pipeline keeping FSStateBackend, I have observed frequent
Full GC's after processing 20M records.

> When I did memory analysis using MAT, it showed that the many objects maintained by Flink
state are live.

> Flink keeps the state in memory even after checkpointing , when does this state gets
removed / GC. (I am using window operator in which the DTO comes as input)