flink-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Safaric <dominiksafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink Kafka 0.10.0.0 connector
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 12:48:42 GMT
Hi Robert,

> I think the easiest way to get Kafka 0.10 running with Flink is to use the Kafka 0.10
connector in the current Flink master.

Well, I’ve already builded the Kafka 0.10 connector from the master, but unfortunately I
keep getting the error of the type checker that the type of the FlinkKafkaConsumer10 and the
one required by StreamExecutionEnvironment are not compatible - that is, addSource requires
a subclass of the SourceFunction<T>, whereas the instance of the FlinkKafkaConsumer10
class is of type FlinkKafkaConsumer10<T>.

Which I find quite strange because I would assume that the FlinkKafkaConsumer instance should
be of type SourceFunction. However, the same even happened while building the FlinkKafkaConsumer09.

Any hint what might be going on?

I’ve build the jar distribution as a clean maven package (without running the tests).

Thanks,
Dominik

> On 3 Nov 2016, at 13:29, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Dominik,
>
> Some of Kafka's APIs changed between Kafka 0.9 and 0.10, so you can not compile the Kafka
0.9 against Kafka 0.10 dependencies.

> I think the easiest way to get Kafka 0.10 running with Flink is to use the Kafka 0.10
connector in the current Flink master.
> You can probably copy the connector's code into your own project and use the new connector
from there.

> Regards,
> Robert
>

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Dominik Safaric <dominiksafaric@gmail.com <mailto:dominiksafaric@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Although the Flink 1.2 version will rollout a Flink Kafka 0.10.x connector, I want to
use the Flink 0.9 connector in conjunction with the 0.10.x versions.

> The reason behind this is because we are currently evaluating Flink part of an empirical
research, hence a stable release is required. In addition, the reason why we have the requirement
of using the Kafka 0.10.x versions is because since the 0.10.0 Kafka supports consumer and
producer interceptors and message timestamps.

> To make the 0.9 connector support Kafka version e.g. 0.10.0 for example, so far I’ve
changed the Flink Kafka 0.9 connector dependency to the required Kafka version and build the
project. However, as I imported the jar and added the source to the StreamExecutionEnvironment
a type error occurred stating that the addSource function requires a class deriving from the
SourceFunction interface.

> Hence, what have gone wrong during the build? I assume a dependency issue.
>
> Next, I’ve tried just simply overriding the dependencies of the Flink Kafka connector
within the project pom.xml, however there is obviously a slight API mismatch hence this cannot
be done.

> I would really appreciate if anyone could provide some guidance once how to successfully
build the Flink Kafka connector supporting Kafka 0.10.x versions.