flink-user mailing list archives

From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exception when restoring state from RocksDB - how to recover?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:13:49 GMT
Hi Josh!

There are two ways to improve the RocksDB / S3 behavior

(1) Use the FullyAsync mode. It stores the data in one file, not in a
directory. Since directories are the "eventual consistent" part of S3, this
prevents many issues.

(2) Flink 1.2-SNAPSHOT has some additional fixes that circumvent additional
S3 issues.

Hope that helps,
Stephan

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Josh <jofo90@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aljoscha,
>
> Yeah I'm using S3. Is this a known problem when using S3? Do you have any
> ideas on how to restore my job from this state, or prevent it from
> happening again?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> you are using S3 to store the checkpoints, right? It might be that you're
>> running into a problem with S3 "directory listings" not being consistent.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aljoscha
>>
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 at 12:40 Josh <jofo90@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I just have a couple of questions about checkpointing and restoring state from RocksDB.
>>

>> 1) In some cases, I find that it is impossible to restore a job from a checkpoint,
due to an exception such as the one pasted below[*]. In this case, it appears that the last
checkpoint is somehow corrupt. Does anyone know why this might happen?

>> 2) When the above happens, I have no choice but to cancel the job, as it repeatedly
attempts to restart and keeps getting the same exception. Given that no savepoint was taken
recently, is it possible for me to restore the job from an older checkpoint (e.g. the second-last
checkpoint)?