flink-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Late Elements
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2016 16:28:50 GMT
Hi Vinay,

These methods are useful when using your trigger with SessionWindows. When using session windows,

the state of a window and that of the corresponding trigger has to be merged with that of
other windows.

These methods do exactly that: the canMerge() says if the trigger can be used with Session
Windows, and if yes,
the onMerge() includes the logic of what to do with the trigger state when a window merging
happens.

As an example you can check out the CountTrigger.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Kostas

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 6:10 PM, vinay patil <vinay18.patil@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kostas,
>
> Yes you are right , I am always doing  FIRE_AND_PURGE , if we don't do this and only
use FIRE , the window function will get the elements in incremental fashion (1, 2,3..so on)
> I had observed this while testing.
>
> Can you please explain me the importance of canMerge and onMerge functions in trigger,
from the javadocs I got it on a high level, but not able to understand it correctly (so I
am not using these functions for now in Custom Trigger).

> Regards,
> Vinay Patil
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Kostas Kloudas [via Apache Flink User Mailing List archive.]
<[hidden email] <x-msg://14/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=9331&i=0>>
wrote:
> Hi Vinay,
>
> By setting the allowed_lateness to LongMax you are ok.
> Sorry I forgot that this was the default value.
>
> Just a note (although you have it right in your code), in this case
> you should always FIRE_AND_PURGE and not just FIRE. In other
> case your state will keep growing as it is never garbage collected.
>
> Cheers,
> Kostas
>

>> On Oct 4, 2016, at 5:42 PM, vinay patil <[hidden email] <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=9329&i=0>>
wrote:

>> Long.MAX_VALUE

> To start a new topic under Apache Flink User Mailing List archive., email [hidden email]
<x-msg://14/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=9331&i=1>