flink-user mailing list archives

From <lg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: more complex patterns for CEP (was: CEP two transitions to the same state)
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 22:42:33 GMT
hi Till,
Thanks for the detailed response.
I'm looking forward to seeing these features implemented in Flink. Can anyone provide timelines
for the 3 tickets that you mentioned in your response?  - LF

      From: Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org>
 To: user@flink.apache.org
 Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:13 AM
 Subject: Re: more complex patterns for CEP (was: CEP two transitions to the same state)

Hi Frank,
thanks for sharing your analysis. It indeed pinpoints some of the current CEP library's shortcomings.
Let me address your points:
1. Lack of not operator
The functionality to express events which must not occur in a pattern is missing. We've currently
a JIRA [1] which addresses exactly this. For the notFollowedBy operator, we should discard
all patterns where we've seen a matching event for the not state. I think it could be implemented
like a special terminal state where we prune the partial pattern.
For the notNext operator, we could think about keeping the event which has not matched the
notNext state and return it as part of the fully matched pattern. Alternatively, we could
simply forget about it once we've assured that it does not match.
2. Allow functions to access fields of previous events
This hasn't been implemented yet because it is a quite expensive operation. Before calling
the filter function you always have to reconstruct the current partial pattern and then give
it to the filter function. But I agree that the user should be allowed to use such a functionality
(and then pay the price for it in terms of efficiency). Giving access to the partially matched
fields via a Map would be a way to solve the problem on the API level.
I think that almost all functionality for this feature is already in place. We simply would
have to check the filter condition whether they require access to previous events and then
compute the partial pattern.
3. Support for recursive patterns
The underlying SharedBuffer implementation should allow recursive event patterns. Once we
have support for branching CEP patterns [2] which allow to connect different states this should
also be possible with some minor changes.
However, a more interesting way to specify recursive CEP patterns is to use regular expression
syntax (Kleene star, bounded occurrences) to express recursive parts of a pattern. I think
this makes specifying such a pattern easier and more intuitive for the user. We've also a
JIRA issue to track the process there [3] and Ivan is already working on this.
If you want to get involved in Flink's CEP development, then feel free to take over any free
JIRA issue or create one yourself :-)
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4641[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3318
Cheers,Till