flink-user mailing list archives

From "Ramanan, Buvana (Nokia - US)" <buvana.rama...@nokia-bell-labs.com>
Subject RE: TaskManager & task slots
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:46:34 GMT

appreciate your explanation in this regard.

Thanks,
Buvana

From: Fabian Hueske [mailto:fhueske@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2016 2:41 PM
To: user@flink.apache.org
Subject: Re: TaskManager & task slots

Hi Buvana,
A TaskManager runs as a single JVM process. A TaskManager provides a certain number of processing
slots. Slots do not guard CPU time, IO, or JVM memory. At the moment they only isolate managed
memory which is only used for batch processing. For streaming applications their only purpose
is to limit the number of parallel threads that can be executed by a TaskManager.
In each processing slot, a full slice of a program can be executed, i.e., one parallel subtask
of each operator of a program. Given a simple program (source -> map -> sink), a slot
can process one subtask of the source, the mapper, and the sink (it is possible to split a
program to be executed in more slots). Each operator can be executed as a separate thread.
However, in many situations, operators are chained within the same thread to improve performance
(again it is possible to disallow chaining).
Let me know if you have more questions,
Fabian

Hello,

I would like to understand the following better:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/setup/config.html#configuring-taskmanager-processing-slots

Fundamental question – what is the notion of Task Slot? Does it correspond to one JVM? Or
the Task Manager itself corresponds to one JVM?
Example-1 shows a parallelism of 1 and has 3 operators – flatMap, Reduce & Sink. Here
comes the question – are these 3 operators running a separate threads within a JVM?

Sorry for the naïve questions. I studied the following links and could not get a clear answer:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/internals/general_arch.html
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/internals/job_scheduling.html

Are there more documents under Flink’s wiki site / elsewhere? Please point me to more info
on the architecture.

thank you,
regards,
Buvana