flink-user mailing list archives

From "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tzuli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kinesis connector - Iterator expired exception
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:39:07 GMT
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the description. From your description and a check into the code, I’m suspecting what
could be happening is that before the consumer caught up to the head of the stream, Kinesis
was somehow returning the same shard iterator on consecutive fetch calls, and the consumer
kept on using the same one until it eventually timed out.

This is actually suggesting the cause is due to Kinesis-side unexpected behaviour, so I probably
need to run some long-running tests to clarify / reproduce this. The constant "15 minute"
fail is suggesting this too, because the expire time for shard iterators is actually 5 minutes
(from the Kinesis docs) …

Either way, it should be possible to handle this in the consumer so that it doesn’t fail
on such situations. I’ve filed up a JIRA for this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4514 .
I’ll get back to you after I figure out the root cause ;)

Regards,
Gordon