flink-user mailing list archives

From Bart Wyatt <bart.wy...@dsvolition.com>
Subject Ordering expectations of data
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:48:17 GMT
​Hello all,

We have a kafka topic with lots of partitions where data is partitioned by an upstream publisher
on "session".

In flink we read this topic and another single partition topic which contains configuration
definitions for a little flatMap based operation.  We also do a little bit of processing on
the incoming data before combining it with the configuration in a soft  join-like operation.

forgive the ascii art:

​
N-partition Kafka "Data" source -> Map -----\
                                             |-> connect -> CoFlatMap -> ...
1-partition Kafka "Config" source -> global-/

What we *think* are seeing is that this is broken up into 3 tasks and that the ordering of
events in the kafka "Data" source isn't maintained when we see it in the CoFlatMap.  I have
tried to add a custom partitioner on "Session" before the connect and it seemed to not help.
 I can't use KeyBy because the Config stream has no "Session key"

Should we be able to assume anything about ordering of events without explicitly windowing/sorting/chaining?

-Bart

This e-mail may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION and/or PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
COMMUNICATION intended solely for the recipient and, therefore, may not be retransmitted to
any party outside of the recipient's organization without the prior written consent of the
sender. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a copy. Deep Silver,
Inc. accepts no liability for any losses or damages resulting from infected e-mail transmissions
and viruses in e-mail attachments.