flink-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Accessing external DB inside RichFlatMap Function
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 08:58:20 GMT
Hi Simon,

If your job reads or writes to a DB, I would suggest to use one of the already existing Flink
sources or sinks,
as this allows for efficient connection handling and managing.

If you want to write intermediate data to a DB from an operator, then I suppose that you should
implement
your own custom operator that opens a DB connection in the open() method and closes it at
close().
If you are planning to do so, I think that code of your custom operator would be the same
as the StreamFlatMap,
with the addition of the openDBConnection method in the open(), and you should also override
the close() method
of the AbstractUdfStreamOperator to 1) call super.close() and 2) close the db connection.

Let me know if this works,
Kostas