flink-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Adding Context To Logs
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 20:39:34 GMT
Hello Paul,

If I understand correctly, your issues seem to be related to:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1502?jql=assignee%20in%20(Zentol)%20AND%20text%20~%20%22metrics%22
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1502?jql=assignee%20in%20(Zentol)%20AND%20text%20~%20%22metrics%22>
and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-2732?jql=assignee%20in%20(Zentol)%20AND%20text%20~%20%22metrics%22
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-2732?jql=assignee%20in%20(Zentol)%20AND%20text%20~%20%22metrics%22>

If this is correct, probably Chesnay (who worked on these issues) is the right person to talk
to.

Kostas

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 6:53 PM, Hamilton, Paul <paul.hamilton01@sap.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to rework the way our Flink jobs (and really it becomes how the operators
within the jobs) log.  Specifically we are trying to add contextual information to the log
messages so that it is easier to filter and search for a specific jobs logs after they have
been send through to our ELK stack.  I am certainly open to suggestions, and hopefully  I
am missing something easier, but these were my current thoughts:

> 1)       In the application and then also within individual functions that log add the
“job name” to the logging MDC in the open function so that no matter where  it is running
on it can log the appropriate job name.  The problem here is that I haven’t found an easy
way to get to the job name within the RichFunction.  What would be the best way to get it?

> 2)       Pass the job name (and any other contextual things we want to log) in at construction
time when building the flink job to each function that needs them.  Simple, but seems kind
of ugly.