flink-user mailing list archives

From Prez Cannady <revp...@correlatesystems.com>
Subject Re: Moving from single-node, Maven examples to cluster execution
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:59:21 GMT
All right, I figured I’d have to do shading, but hadn’t gotten around to experimenting.

I’ll try it out.

Prez Cannady
p: 617 500 3378
e: revprez@opencorrelate.org <mailto:revprez@opencorrelate.org>
GH: https://github.com/opencorrelate <https://github.com/opencorrelate>
LI: https://www.linkedin.com/in/revprez <https://www.linkedin.com/in/revprez>

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 6:19 PM, Josh <jofo90@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Prez,
>
> You need to build a jar with all your dependencies bundled inside. With maven you can
use maven-assembly-plugin for this, or with SBT there's sbt-assembly.

> Once you've done this, you can login to the JobManager node of your Flink cluster, copy
the jar across and use the Flink command line tool to submit jobs to the running cluster,
e.g. (from the Flink root directory):

> ./bin/flink run -c my.application.MainClass /path/to/YourApp.jar
>
> See https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/cli.html <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/cli.html>
> You can also run the Flink command line tool locally and submit the jar to a remote JobManager
with the -m flag. Although I don't do this at the moment because it doesn't work so easily
if you're running Flink on AWS/EMR.

> Josh
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Prez Cannady <revprez@opencorrelate.org <mailto:revprez@opencorrelate.org>>
wrote:
> Having a hard time trying to get my head around how to deploy my Flink programs to a
pre-configured, remote Flink cluster setup.

> My Mavenized setup uses Spring Boot (to simplify class path handling and generate pretty
logs) to execute provision a StreamExecutionEnvironment with Kafka sources and sinks. I can
also run this quite effective the standard way (`java -jar …`).  What I’m unclear on is
how I might go about distributing this code to run on an existing Flink cluster setup.  Where
do I drop the jars? Do I need to restart Flink to do so?

> class AppRunner extends CommandLineRunner {
>
>     val log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(classOf[AppRunner])
>

>     override def run(args: String*): Unit = {
>
>         val env : StreamExecutionEnvironment = StreamExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment
>
>     val consumer = …
>     val producer = ...
>         val stream = env.addSource(consumer)
>
>         stream
>             …
>         // Do some stuff
>         …
>             .addSink(producer)
>
>         env.execute
>     }
>

> }
> …
>
> @SpringBootApplication
> object App {
>

>     @throws(classOf[Exception])
>     def main( args: Array[String] ) : Unit = {
>         SpringApplication.run(classOf[AppRunner], args: _*)
>     }
> }
>

> Try as I might, I couldn’t find any clear instructions on how to do this in the documentation.
 The cluster documentation ends with starting it.

> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.8/cluster_setup.html#starting-flink
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.8/cluster_setup.html#starting-flink>

> The Wikiedits example doesn’t involve any third party dependencies, so I’m not clear
on how to manage class path for it.