flink-user mailing list archives

From Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does Flink allows for encapsulation of transformations?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 12:14:04 GMT
1a. ah. yeah i see how it could work, but i wouldn't count on it in a
cluster.
you would (most likely) run the the sub-job (calculating pi) only on a
single node.

1b. different execution environments generally imply different flink
programs.

2. sure it does, since it's a normal flink job. yours on the other hand
doesn't, since the job calculating PI only runs on a single TaskManager.

3. there are 2 ways. you can either chain jobs like this: (effectively
running 2 flink programs in succession)

|publicstaticvoidmain(String[]args)throwsException{doublepi =new
classPI().compute();System.out.println("We estimate Pi to be: "+pi); new
classThatNeedsPI().computeWhatever(pi); //feeds pi into an
env.fromElements call and proceeds from there }|

or (if all building blocks are flink programs) build a single job:

|publicstaticvoidmain(String[]args)throwsException{ ExecutionEnvironment
env = ExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment(); DataSet<Double> pi
=new classPI(env).compute();new
classThatNeedsPI(env).computeWhatever(pi); //append your transformations
to pi env.execute(); } ... ||publicDataSet<Double>compute()throwsException{return
this.env.generateSequence(1,NumIter).map(newSampler()).reduce(newSumReducer())
.map(/*return 4 * x*/);} ... public ? computeWhatever(DataSet<Long> pi)
throws Exception { ... } |