flink-user mailing list archives

From <leon_mcl...@tutanota.com>
Subject Key factors for Flink's performance
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 09:06:14 GMT
Hello Flink team,
i am currently playing around with Storm and Flink in the context of a smart
home. The primary functional requirement is to quickly react to certain
properties in stream tuples.
I was looking at some benchmarks from the two systems, and generally Flink
has the upper hand, in both throughput and latency. I do not really
understand how Flink achieves better latency than Storm, which is driven by
one-at-at-time tuples.
 From what i understood in the documentation, Flink performs micro batching
when transferring data across the network to downstream operators located on
other nodes. Perhaps this achieves a better average latency.
Surely the bigger factor however is that Flink can completely bypass internal
operator queues with operator chaining, which Storm cannot do.
Kind regardsLeon