flink-user mailing list archives

From "Madhire, Naveen" <Naveen.Madh...@capitalone.com>
Subject Re: Flink recovery
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 21:19:39 GMT
Thank you Fabian.

I am using HDFS rolling sink. This should support the exactly once output in case of failures,
isn’t it? I am following the below documentation,

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/streaming/fault_tolerance.html#fault-tolerance-guarantees-of-data-sources-and-sinks

If not what other Sinks can I use to have the exactly once output since getting exactly once
output is critical for our use case.

Thanks,
Naveen

From: Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com<mailto:fhueske@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM
To: "user@flink.apache.org<mailto:user@flink.apache.org>" <user@flink.apache.org<mailto:user@flink.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Flink recovery

Hi,

Flink's exactly-once semantics do not mean that events are processed exactly-once but that
events will contribute exactly-once to the state of an operator such as a counter.
Roughly, the mechanism works as follows:
- Flink peridically injects checkpoint markers into the data stream. This happens synchronously
across all sources and markers.
- When an operator receives a checkpoint marker from all its sources, it checkpoints its state
and forwards the marker
- When the marker was received by all sinks, the distributed checkpoint is noted as successful.

In case of a failure, the state of all operators is reset to the last successful checkpoint
and the sources are reset to the point when the marker was injected.
Hence, some events are sent a second time to the operators but the state of the operators
was reset as well. So the repeated events contribute exactly once to the state of an operator.

Note, you need a SinkFunction that supports Flink's checkpointing mechanism to achieve exactly-once
output. Otherwise, it might happen that results are emitted multiple times.

Cheers, Fabian

I checked the JIRA and looks like FLINK-2111 should address the issue which I am facing. I
am canceling the job from dashboard.

I am using kafka source and HDFS rolling sink.

Is this JIRA part of Flink 1.0.0?

Thanks,
Naveen