flink-user mailing list archives

From "Hanson, Bruce" <bruce.han...@here.com>
Subject Streaming job software update
Date Wed, 04 May 2016 17:52:34 GMT
Hi all,

I’m working on using Flink to do a variety of streaming jobs that will be processing very
high-volume streams. I want to be able to update a job’s software with an absolute minimum
impact on the processing of the data. What I don’t understand the best way to update the
software running the job. From what I gather, the way it works today is that I would have
to shut down the first job, ensuring that it properly checkpoints, and then start up a new
job. My concern is that this may take a relatively long time and cause problems with SLAs
I may have with my users.

Does Flink provide more nuanced ways of upgrading a job’s software?

Are there folks out there that are working with this sort of problem, either within Flink
or around it?

Thank you for any help, thoughts, etc. you may have.

-Bruce