flink-user mailing list archives

From Maximilian Bode <maximilian.b...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: Jobmanager HA with Rolling Sink in HDFS
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 12:19:46 GMT
Hi Aljoscha,

oh I see. I was under the impression this file was used internally and the output being completed
at the end. Ok, so I extracted the relevant lines using
	for i in part-*; do head -c $(cat "_$i.valid-length" | strings) "$i" > "$i.final"; done
which seems to do the trick.

Unfortunately, now some records are missing again. In particular, there are the files
	part-0-0, part-1-0, ..., part-10-0, part-11-0, each with corresponding .valid-length files
	part-0-1, part-1-1, ..., part-10-0
in the bucket, where job parallelism=12. So it looks to us as if one of the files was not
even created in the second attempt. This behavior seems to be what somewhat reproducible,
cf. my earlier email where the part-11 file disappeared as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
 Max
—
Maximilian Bode * Junior Consultant * maximilian.bode@tngtech.com
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring
Geschäftsführer: Henrik Klagges, Christoph Stock, Dr. Robert Dahlke

> Am 08.03.2016 um 11:05 schrieb Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
> are you taking the “.valid-length” files into account. The problem with doing “exactly-once”
with HDFS is that before Hadoop 2.7 it was not possible to truncate files. So the trick we’re
using is to write the length up to which a file is valid if we would normally need to truncate
it. (If the job fails in the middle of writing the output files have to be truncated to a
valid position.) For example, say you have an output file part-8-0. Now, if there exists a
file part-8-0.valid-length this file tells you up to which position the file part-8-0 is valid.
So you should only read up to this point.

> The name of the “.valid-length” suffix can also be configured, by the way, as can
all the other stuff.

> If this is not the problem then I definitely have to investigate further. I’ll also
look into the Hadoop 2.4.1 build problem.

> Cheers,
> Aljoscha
>> On 08 Mar 2016, at 10:26, Maximilian Bode <maximilian.bode@tngtech.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aljoscha,
>> thanks again for getting back to me. I built from your branch and the exception is
not occurring anymore. The RollingSink state can be restored.

>> Still, the exactly-once guarantee seems not to be fulfilled, there are always some
extra records after killing either a task manager or the job manager. Do you have an idea
where this behavior might be coming from? (I guess concrete numbers will not help greatly
as there are so many parameters influencing them. Still, in our test scenario, we produce
2 million records in a Kafka queue but in the final output files there are on the order of
2.1 million records, so a 5% error. The job is running in a per-job YARN session with n=3,
s=4 with a checkpointing interval of 10s.)

>> On another (maybe unrelated) note: when I pulled your branch, the Travis build did
not go through for -Dhadoop.version=2.4.1. I have not looked into this further as of now,
is this one of the tests known to fail sometimes?

>> Cheers,
>> Max
>> <travis.log>
>> —
>> Maximilian Bode * Junior Consultant * maximilian.bode@tngtech.com
>> TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring
>> Geschäftsführer: Henrik Klagges, Christoph Stock, Dr. Robert Dahlke
>> Sitz: Unterföhring * Amtsgericht München * HRB 135082
>>
>>> Am 07.03.2016 um 17:20 schrieb Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Hi Maximilian,
>>> sorry for the delay, we where very busy with the release last week. I had a hunch
about the problem but I think I found a fix now. The problem is in snapshot restore. When
restoring, the sink tries to clean up any files that where previously in progress. If Flink
restores to the same snapshot twice in a row then it will try to clean up the leftover files
twice but they are not there anymore, this causes the exception.

>>> I have a fix in my branch: https://github.com/aljoscha/flink/tree/rolling-sink-fix
>>>
>>> Could you maybe try if this solves your problem? Which version of Flink are you
using? You would have to build from source to try it out. Alternatively I could build it and
put it onto a maven snapshot repository for you to try it out.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Aljoscha

If yes, which files are there?

manager and is therefore probably unrelated to job manager HA.

exactly once guarantees (Kafka -> Flink 1.0.0-rc3 -> HDFS).

RollingSink<Tuple3<Integer,Integer,String>>("hdfs://our.machine.com:8020/hdfs/dir/outbound");

In-Progress file hdfs://our.machine.com:8020/hdfs/dir/outbound/part-5-0 was neither moved
to pending nor is still in progress.
was neither moved to pending nor is still in progress.
using 2.4.0 – might this be the same issue?

correctly and there is some sort of timing issue. The checkpoint interval is 10 seconds, everything
else was left at default value. Then again, as the NonRollingBucketer is used, there should
not be any timing issues, right?