flink-user mailing list archives

From Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rebalance of streaming job after taskManager restart
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:10:43 GMT
Yes, there are plans to make this more streamlined but we are not there yet, unfortunately.
> On 08 Mar 2016, at 16:07, Maciek Próchniak <mpr@touk.pl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for quick answer - yes, I does what I want to accomplish,
> but I was hoping for some "easier" solution.
> Are there any plans for "restart" button/command or sth similar? I mean, the whole process
of restarting is ready as I understand - as it's triggered when task manager dies.

> thanks,
> maciek
>
> On 08/03/2016 16:03, Aljoscha Krettek wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I think what you can do is make a savepoint of your program, then cancel it and restart
it from the savepoint. This should make Flink redistribute it on all TaskManagers.

>> See https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/streaming/savepoints.html
>> and
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/cli.html#savepoints
>> for documentation about savepoints.
>>
>> The steps to follow should be:
>>  bin/flink savepoint <your job id>
>>
>> this will print a savepoint path that you will need later.
>>  bin/flink cancel <your job id>
>>
>> bin/flink run -s <savepoint path> …
>>
>> The last command is your usual run command but with the additional “-s” parameter
to continue from a savepoint.

>> I hope that helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aljoscha
>>> On 08 Mar 2016, at 15:48, Maciek Próchniak <mpr@touk.pl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we have streaming job with paralelism 2 and two task managers. The job is occupying
one slot on each task manager. When I stop manager2 the job is restarted and it runs on manager1
- occupying two of it's slots.
>>> How can I trigger restart (or other similar process) that will cause the job
to be balanced among task managers?