flink-user mailing list archives

From Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ovidiu-cristian.ma...@inria.fr>
Subject Re: off-heap size feature request
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:30:34 GMT
Updating the documentation will partially remove the confusion.
Heap memory is JVM managed while off-heap is outside JVM and I would define its size separately.

In my case, I see memory usage going up to full utilisation on a node where full RAM available
is 128GB in the following conditions:
taskmanager.heap.mb = 12*1024
taskmanager.memory.off-heap: true
taskmanager.memory.fraction: 0.6

So the memory fraction will be applied to the free memory and in the absence of the taskmanager.memory.size
parameter, the fraction is defining the off-heap size.
Everything else in the memory usage is network buffers I guess (taskmanager.network.numberOfBuffers
* taskmanager.network.bufferSizeInBytes), along with OS cache.

I would like parameters like:
taskmanager.off-heap.size or taskmanager.off-heap.fraction
taskmanager.off-heap.enabled true or false
and same for heap.

Thanks for clarification.

Best,
Ovidiu

> On 16 Mar 2016, at 13:43, Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh yes, good point! The documentation needs to be updated to something like:
>
> "The amount of memory (in megabytes) that the task manager reserves on-heap or off-heap
(depending on taskmanager.memory.off-heap) for sorting, hash tables, and caching of intermediate
results. If unspecified (-1), the memory manager will take a fixed ratio with respect to the
size of the task manager JVM as specified by taskmanager.memory.fraction."

> I will open a JIRA to fix the documentation.
>
> If you do the following
> taskmanager.heap.mb: 4096
> taskmanager.memory.size: 2048
> taskmanager.memory.off-heap: true
>
> The TaskManager will be started with a 2GB (4096MB-2048MB) JVM and allocate (2048MB)
as off-heap memory. Hence, the overall process size will be roughly 4GB. The parameter name
"taskmanager.heap.mb" is a bit confusing in case of off-heap memory usage, because it does
not define this size of the heap but of the overall process.

> Hope this helps,
> Fabian

> Thanks!
> I will try this one: taskmanager.memory.size. So I should expect this will be the off-heap
memory size, right?
> I am using taskmanager.heap.mb=some value, taskmanager.memory.off-heap: true
> Memory usage goes up to 99%.
>
> The documentation is confusing:
>
> taskmanager.memory.size: The amount of memory (in megabytes) that the task manager reserves
on the JVM’s heap space for sorting, hash tables, and caching of intermediate results. If
unspecified (-1), the memory manager will take a fixed ratio of the heap memory available
to the JVM, as specified by taskmanager.memory.fraction.  [1]

> [1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.0/setup/config.html#managed-memory
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.0/setup/config.html#managed-memory>

> Best,
> Ovidiu
>
>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 12:13, Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com <mailto:fhueske@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Ovidiu,
>>
>> the parameters to configure the amount of managed memory (taskmanager.memory.size,
taskmanager.memory.fraction) are valid for on and off-heap memory.