flink-user mailing list archives

From Maximilian Bode <maximilian.b...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: YARN JobManager HA using wrong network interface
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 11:33:53 GMT
Hi Ufuk, Till and Stephan,

Yes, that is what we observed. The primary hostname, i.e. the one returned by the unix hostname
command, is in fact bound to the eth0 interface, whereas Flink uses the eth1 interface (pertaining
to another hostname).

Changing akka.lookup.timeout to 100 s seems to fix the problem as now the new job manager
is available in sufficient time. I still would agree with Stephan on taking the local hostname
being the preferred strategy.

Cheers,
 Max
—
Maximilian Bode * Junior Consultant * maximilian.bode@tngtech.com
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring
Geschäftsführer: Henrik Klagges, Christoph Stock, Dr. Robert Dahlke

> Am 03.03.2016 um 12:29 schrieb Till Rohrmann <till.rohrmann@gmail.com>:
>
> No I don't think this behaviour has been introduced by HA. That is the default behaviour
we used for a long time. If you think we should still change it, then I can open an issue
for it.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Stephan Ewen <sewen@apache.org <mailto:sewen@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Okay, that is a change from the original behavior, introduced in HA. Originally, if the
connection attempts failed, it always returned the InetAddress.getLocalHost() interface.
> I think we should change it back to that, because that interface is by far the best possible
heuristic.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org <mailto:trohrmann@apache.org>>
wrote:
> If I’m not mistaken, then it’s not necessarily true that the heuristic returns InetAddress.getLocalHost()
in all cases. The heuristic will select the first network interface with the afore-mentioned
conditions but before returning it, it will try a last time to connect to the JM via the interface
bound to InetAddress.getLocalHost(). However, if this fails, then the heuristically selected
network interface will be returned.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Stephan Ewen <sewen@apache.org <mailto:sewen@apache.org>>
wrote:
> If the ThasManager cannot connect to the JobManager, it will use the interface that is
bound to the machine's host name ("InetAddress.getLocalHost()").

> So, the best way to fix this would be to make sure that all machines have a proper network
configuration. Then Flink would either use an address that can connect (via trying various
interfaces), or it would default back to the hostname/interface that is configured on the
machine.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org <mailto:trohrmann@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> the problem is that before starting the TM, we have to find the network interface which
is reachable by the other machines. So what we do is to connect to the current JobManager.
If it should happen, as in your case, that the JobManager just died and the new JM address
has not been written to ZooKeeper, then the TMs don’t have much choice other than using
the heuristic.

> I can’t really tell why eth1 is chosen over eth0. The condition is that the interface
address is an Inet4Address, no link local address as well as not a loopback address.

> Thus, Ufuk’s solution, to increase akka.lookup.timeout seems to be the easiest solution
to solve your problem. I’ve checked the default value is set to 10 s which might be a bit
too low for restarting a new JM and publishing its address via ZooKeeper.

> Cheers,
> Till
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Ufuk Celebi <uce@apache.org <mailto:uce@apache.org>>
wrote:
> I had an offline chat with Till about this. He pointed out that the
> address is chosen once at start up time (while not being able to
> connect to the old job manager) and then it stays fixed at eth1.
>
> You can increase the lookup timeout by setting akka.lookup.timeout to
> a higher value (like 100 s). This is the only workaroud I'm aware of
> at this point. Maybe Till can chime in here whether this has other
> implications as well?
>
> – Ufuk
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Ufuk Celebi <uce@apache.org <mailto:uce@apache.org>>
wrote:
> > Hey Max!
> >
> > for the first WARN in
> > org.apache.flink.runtime.webmonitor.JobManagerRetriever: this is
> > expected if the new leader has not updated ZooKeeper yet. The
> > important thing is that the new leading job manager is eventually
> > retrieved. This did happen, right?
> >
> > Regarding eth1 vs. eth0: After the new job manager becomes leader, the
> > task manager should re-try connecting to it with the same strategy as
> > in the initial connection establishment (e.g. try SLOW first and only
> > fall back to HEURISTIC). Can you see in the logs whether this happens?
> >
> > The best thing would be to share the complete logs. Is this possible?
> > If not publicly, feel free to send it to me privately (uce at apache
> > org).
> >
> > – Ufuk
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Maximilian Bode
> > <maximilian.bode@tngtech.com <mailto:maximilian.bode@tngtech.com>> wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> we are trying to get to work JobManager HA in the context of a per-job YARN
> >> session using the 1.0.0-rc3 from a few days ago and are having a problem
> >> concerning task managers with several network interfaces.
> >>
> >> After manually killing the job manager process, the jobmanager.log on the
> >> newly allocated second job manager reads:
> >> ---
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:09,635 WARN  Remoting
> >> - Tried to associate with unreachable remote address
> >> [akka.tcp://flink@10.127.68.136:34811 <http://flink@10.127.68.136:34811/>].
Address is now gated for 5000 ms,
> [...]
> >> at akka.pattern.PromiseActorRef.$bang(AskSupport.scala:267)
> >> at akka.actor.EmptyLocalActorRef.specialHandle(ActorRef.scala:508)
> >> at akka.actor.DeadLetterActorRef.specialHandle(ActorRef.scala:541)
> >> at akka.actor.DeadLetterActorRef.$bang(ActorRef.scala:531)
> >> at
> >> akka.remote.RemoteActorRefProvider$RemoteDeadLetterActorRef.$bang(RemoteActorRefProvider.scala:87)
> >> at akka.remote.EndpointWriter.postStop(Endpoint.scala:561)
> >> at akka.actor.Actor$class.aroundPostStop(Actor.scala:475)
> >> at akka.remote.EndpointActor.aroundPostStop(Endpoint.scala:415)
> >> at
> >> akka.actor.dungeon.FaultHandling$class.akka$actor$dungeon$FaultHandling$$finishTerminate(FaultHandling.scala:210)
> >> at akka.actor.dungeon.FaultHandling$class.terminate(FaultHandling.scala:172)
> >> at akka.actor.ActorCell.terminate(ActorCell.scala:369)
> >> at akka.actor.ActorCell.invokeAll$1(ActorCell.scala:462)
> >> at akka.actor.ActorCell.systemInvoke(ActorCell.scala:478)
> >> at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processAllSystemMessages(Mailbox.scala:279)
> >> at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:220)
> >> at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:231)
> >> at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
> >> at
> >> scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
> >> at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
> >> at
> >> scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)
> >> ---
> >> where the IP not found is from the old job manager. So far, is this the
> >> expected behavior?
> >>
> >> The problem then arises on a new task manager, which also tries to connect
> >> to the old job manager unsuccessfully. The ZooKeeperLeaderRetrievalService
> >> starts cycling through the available network interfaces, as can be seen in
> >> the relevant taskmanager.log:
> >> ---
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:13,636 INFO
> >> org.apache.flink.runtime.leaderretrieval.ZooKeeperLeaderRetrievalService  -
> >> Starting ZooKeeperLeaderRetrievalService.
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:13,646 INFO
> >> org.apache.flink.runtime.util.LeaderRetrievalUtils            - Trying to
> >> select the network interface and address to use by connecting to the leading
> >> JobManager.
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:13,646 INFO
> >> org.apache.flink.runtime.util.LeaderRetrievalUtils            - TaskManager
> >> will try to connect for 10000 milliseconds before falling back to heuristics
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:13,712 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.net.ConnectionUtils
> >> - Retrieved new target address /10.127.68.136:34811 <http://10.127.68.136:34811/>.
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:14,079 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.net.ConnectionUtils
> >> - Trying to connect to address /10.127.68.136:34811 <http://10.127.68.136:34811/>
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:14,082 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.net.ConnectionUtils
Connection refused
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:14,082 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.net.ConnectionUtils
> >> - Failed to connect from address '/10.127.68.136 <http://10.127.68.136/>':
Connection refused
> >> 2016-03-02 18:01:14,082 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.net.ConnectionUtils
> >> - Failed to connect from address '/10.120.193.110 <http://10.120.193.110/>':
Connection refused