flink-user mailing list archives

From Prez Cannady <revp...@opencorrelate.org>
Subject Results of testing Flink quickstart against 0.10-SNAPSHOT and 1.0-SNAPSHOT (re. Dependency on non-existent org.scalamacros:quasiquotes_2.11:<any version>)
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 05:41:35 GMT
Sent this to dev@flink.apache.org <mailto:dev@flink.apache.org>, but that might not be
the appropriate forum for it.

Finally got a chance to sit down and run through a few tests. Upfront, I have been able to
resolve my issue sufficiently to move forward, but seems there’s an issue with the current
bits for both 1.0-SNAPSHOT and 0.10-SNAPSHOT in the remote Maven repos.

Notes

wordcount-processing <https://github.com/OCExercise/wordcount-processing> is a customized
version of the Flink quickstart archetype I’m using to test Flink integration with Spring
Boot. It is instrumented for Maven and Gradle build and execution.
I’m targeting Scala 2.11 and Flink 0.10.
0.10-SNAPSHOT source build

Steps

Checked out release–0.10 branch (snapshot version 0.10-SNAPSHOT).
Built with mvn clean install -DskipTests=true -Dmaven.javadoc.skip=true -Dscala.version=2.11.7
-Dscala.binary.version=2.11.
Ran wordcount-process with mvn clean spring-boot:run -Drun.arguments=“localhost,9999”.
Ran wordcount-process with gradle bootRun -Drun.arguments=“localhost 9999”.
Result

Maven execution of test succeeds without incident.
Gradle execution of test succeeds without incident.
0.10-SNAPSHOT with fetched binary dependencies

Steps

Cleaned out local maven repository with rm -rf $HOME/.m2/repo/org/apache/flink &&
rm -rf $HOME/.m2/repo/org/scala*.
Cleaned out local gradle repository with rm -rf $HOME/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.apache.flink
&& rm -rf $HOME/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.scala*.
Ran wordcount-process with mvn clean spring-boot:run -Drun.arguments=“localhost,9999”.
Ran wordcount-process with gradle bootRun -Drun.arguments=“localhost 9999”.
Result

Maven build completed without incident. Maven execution error’d out with issue supposedly
resolved with pull request 1511 <https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/1511>.
[...]

Maven build error’d out with
could not find implicit value for evidence parameter of type org.apache.flink.api.common.typeinfo.TypeInformation[String],
and
can't expand macros compiled by previous versions of Scala[ERROR] val text = env.fromElements("To
be, or not to be,--that is the question:—“.
(Gist <https://gist.github.com/revprez/c70a6f3976b091413c8c>).
Gradle build error’d out with java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: scala/reflect/macros/Context
(gist <https://gist.github.com/revprez/298a0302711908975add>).
Discussion

As it stands, I can move forward with building 0.10-SNAPSHOT from source for my own purposes.
I’m guessing pull request 1511 <https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/1511> hasn’t
made it into the the upstream snapshot repos yet.
I’m not sure as to why 1.0-SNAPSHOT is suffering from a macros incident and not 0.10-SNAPSHOT.
Both are bringing in dependencies (quasiquotes, scala-library, scala-reflect, and a bunch
of akka-* stuff) compiled for 2.10, but 0.10-SNAPSHOT does not invite the macro-related errors
some of us have seen when building against 1.0-SNAPSHOT dependencies.

Prez Cannady
p: 617 500 3378
e: revprez@opencorrelate.org <mailto:revprez@opencorrelate.org>
GH: https://github.com/opencorrelate <https://github.com/opencorrelate>