flink-user mailing list archives

From Maximilian Michels <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Watermarks as "process completion" flags
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:41:43 GMT
Hi Anton,

You should be able to model your problem using the Flink Streaming
API. The actions you want to perform on the streamed records
correspond to transformations on Windows. You can indeed use
Watermarks to signal the window that a threshold for an action has
been reached. Otherwise an eviction policy should also do it.

Without more details about what you want to do I can only refer you to
the streaming API documentation:
Please see https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/apis/streaming_guide.html

Thanks,
Max

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Anton Polyakov
<polyakov.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am very new to Flink and in fact never used it. My task (which I currently solve using
home grown Redis-based solution) is quite simple - I have a system which produces some events
(trades, it is a financial system) and computational chain which computes some measure accumulatively
over these events. Those events form a long but finite stream, they are produced as a result
of end of day flow. Computational logic forms a processing DAG which computes some measure
over these events (VaR). Each trade is processed through DAG and at different stages might
produce different set of subsequent events (like return vectors), eventually they all arrive
into some aggregator which computes accumulated measure (reducer).

> Ideally I would like to process trades as they appear (i.e. stream them) and once producer
reaches end of portfolio (there will be no more trades), I need to write final resulting measure
and mark it as “end of day record”. Of course I also could use a classical batch - i.e.
wait until all trades are produced and then batch process them, but this will be too inefficient.

> If I use Flink, I will need a sort of watermark saying - “done, no more trades” and
once this watermark reaches end of DAG, final measure can be saved. More generally would be
cool to have an indication at the end of DAG telling to which input stream position current
measure corresponds.

> I feel my problem is very typical yet I can’t find any solution. All examples operate
either on infinite streams where nobody cares about completion or classical batch examples
which rely on fact all input data is ready.