flink-user mailing list archives

From Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ovidiu-cristian.ma...@inria.fr>
Subject Re: Apache Flink on Hadoop YARN using a YARN Session
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2015 13:07:03 GMT
Thank you, Robert!

My research interest includes Flink (I am a PhD student, BigStorage EU project, Inria Rennes)
so I am currently preparing some experiments in order to understand better how it works.

If I got it right:
-with standalone (cluster) you can run multiple workloads if you have enough resources, else
the job will be rejected.
-with a yarn session, yarn will accept the job but will only execute it when there are enough
resources.

My point on scheduling:
If I have an installation (Flink over Yarn for example) and in my cluster I have enough resources
to serve multiple requests.
Some jobs are running permanently, some are not. I want to be able to schedule jobs concurrently.
My options right now, if I understand correctly, is to either wait for the current job to
finish (assuming it has acquired all the available resources) or to stop the current job,
in case I have other jobs with higher priorities. This could be related also to the resource
elasticity you mentioned.

Best regards,
Ovidiu

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 13:34, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'll fix the link in the YARN documentation. Thank you for reporting the issue.
>
> I'm not aware of any discussions or implementations related to the scheduling. From my
experience working with users and also from the mailing list, I don't think that such features
are very important.
> Since streaming jobs usually run permanently, there is no need to queue jobs somehow.
> For batch jobs, YARN is taking care of the resource allocation (in practice this means
that the job has to wait until the required resources are available).

> There are some discussions (and user requests) regarding resource elasticity going on
and I think we'll add features for dynamically changing the size of a Flink cluster on YARN
while a job is running.

> Which features are you missing wrt to scheduling in Flink? Please let me know if there
is anything blocking you from using Flink in production and we'll see what we can do.

<mailto:ovidiu-cristian.marcu@inria.fr>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The link to FAQ (https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/faq.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/faq.html>) is on the yarn
setup 0.10 documentation page (https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/setup/yarn_setup.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/setup/yarn_setup.html>)
described in this sentence: If you have troubles using the Flink YARN client, have a look
in the FAQ section <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/faq.html>.

> Is the scheduling features considered for next releases?
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> Ovidiu
>
>> On 20 Nov 2015, at 11:59, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org <mailto:rmetzger@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Ovidiu,
>>
>> you can submit multiple programs to a running Flink cluster (or a YARN session).
Flink does currently not have any queuing mechanism.
>> The JobManager will reject a program if there are not enough free resources for it.
If there are enough resources for multiple programs, they'll run concurrently.
>> Note that Flink is not starting separate JVMs for the programs, so if one program
is doing a System.exit(0), it is killing the entire JVM, including other running programs.

>> You can start as many YARN sessions (or single jobs to YARN) as you have resources
available on the cluster. The resource allocation is up to the scheduler you've configured
in YARN.

>> In general, we recommend to start a YARN session per program. You can also directly
submit a Flink program to YARN.

>> Where did you find the link to the FAQ? The link on the front page is working: http://flink.apache.org/faq.html
<http://flink.apache.org/faq.html>

>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ovidiu-cristian.marcu@inria.fr
<mailto:ovidiu-cristian.marcu@inria.fr>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently interested in experimenting on Flink over Hadoop YARN.
>> I am documenting from the documentation we have here: https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/setup/yarn_setup.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/setup/yarn_setup.html>

>> There is a subsection Start Flink Session which states the following: A session will
start all required Flink services (JobManager and TaskManagers) so that you can submit programs
to the cluster. Note that you can run multiple programs per session.

>> Can you be more precise regarding the multiple programs per session? If I submit
multiple programs concurently what will happen (can I?)? Maybe they will run in a FIFO fashion
or what should I expect?

>> The internals section specify that users can execute multiple Flink Yarn sessions
in parallel. This is great, this invites to static partitioning of resources in order to run
multiple applications concurrently. Do you support a fair scheduler similar to what Spark
claims it has?

>> There is FAQ section (https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/faq.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/faq.html>) resource that
is missing, can this be updated?