flink-user mailing list archives

From Konstantin Knauf <konstantin.kn...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: Custom TimestampExtractor and FlinkKafkaConsumer082
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:13:03 GMT
Hi Aljoscha,

I changed the Timestamp Extraktor to save the lastSeenTimestamp and only
emit with getCurrentWatermark [1] as you suggested. So basically I do
the opposite than before (only watermarks per events vs only watermarks
per autowatermark). And now it works :). The question remains, why it
did not work before. As far as I see, it is an issue with the first
TimestmapExtractor itself?!

Does getCurrentWatermark(..) somehow "overpower" the extracted watermarks?

Cheers,

Konstantin

[1]

    final private long maxDelay;
    private long lastTimestamp = Long.MIN_VALUE;

    public PojoTimestampExtractor(long maxDelay) {
        this.maxDelay = maxDelay;
    }

    @Override
    public long extractTimestamp(Pojo pojo, long l) {
        lastTimestamp = pojo.getTime();
        return pojo.getTime();
    }

    @Override
    public long extractWatermark(Pojo pojo, long l) {
        return Long.MIN_VALUE;
    }

    @Override
    public long getCurrentWatermark() {
        return lastTimestamp - maxDelay;
    }

On 16.11.2015 13:37, Aljoscha Krettek wrote:
> Hi,
> yes, at your data-rate emitting a watermark for every element should not be a problem.
It could become a problem with higher data-rates since the system can get overwhelmed if every
element also generates a watermark. In that case I would suggest storing the lastest element-timestamp
in an internal field and only emitting in getCurrentWatermark(), since then, then the watermark
interval can be tunes using the auto-watermark interval setting.

> But that should not be the cause of the problem that you currently have. Would you maybe
be willing to send me some (mock) example data and the code so that I can reproduce the problem
and have a look at it? to aljoscha at apache.org.

> Cheers,
> Aljoscha
>> On 16 Nov 2015, at 13:05, Konstantin Knauf <konstantin.knauf@tngtech.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aljoscha,
>>
>> ok, now I at least understand, why it works with fromElements(...). For
>> the rest I am not so sure.
>>
>>> What this means in your case is that the watermark can only advance if
>> a new element arrives, because only then is the watermark updated.
>>
>> But new elements arrive all the time, about 50/s, or do you mean
>> something else?
>>
>> getCurrentWatermark returning Long.MIN_VALUE still seems to be an ok
>> choice, if i understand the semantics correctly. It just affects
>> watermarking in the absence of events, right?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Konstantin
>>

>> On 16.11.2015 12:31, Aljoscha Krettek wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> it could be what Gyula mentioned. Let me first go a bit into how the TimestampExtractor
works internally.

>>> First, the timestamp extractor internally keeps the value of the last emitted
watermark. Then, the semantics of the TimestampExtractor are as follows :
>>> - the result of extractTimestamp is taken and it replaces the internal timestamp
of the element
>>> - if the result of extractWatermark is larger than the last watermark the new
value is emitted as a watermark and the value is stored
>>> - getCurrentWatermark is called on the specified auto-watermark interval, if
the returned value is larger than the last watermark it is emitted and stored as last watermark

>>> What this means in your case is that the watermark can only advance if a new
element arrives, because only then is the watermark updated.

>>> The reason why you see results if you use fromElements is that the window-operator
also emits all the windows that it currently has buffered if the program closes. This happens
in the case of fromElements because only a finite number of elements is emitted, after which
the source closes, thereby finishing the whole program.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Aljoscha

2015. nov. 16., H, 10:39):
> [...]
prints the element and forwards it? To see if the elements come with a good timestamp from
Kafka.