flink-user mailing list archives

From Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom TimestampExtractor and FlinkKafkaConsumer082
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:58:17 GMT
Maybe. In the Kafka case we just need to ensure that parallel instances of the source that
know that they don’t have any partitions assigned to them emit Long.MAX_VALUE as a watermark.

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 17:50, Gyula Fóra <gyula.fora@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think what we will need at some point for this are approximate whatermarks which correlate
event and ingest time.

> I think they have similar concepts in Millwheel/Dataflow.
>
> Cheers,
> Gyula
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> as an addition. I don’t have a solution yet, for the general problem of what happens
when a parallel instance of a source never receives elements. This watermark business is very
tricky...

> Cheers,
> Aljoscha
> > On 30 Nov 2015, at 17:20, Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Konstantin,
> > I finally nailed down the problem. :-)
> >
> > The basis of the problem is the fact that there is a mismatch in the parallelism
of the Flink Kafka Consumer and the number of partitions in the Kafka Stream. I would assume
that in your case the Kafka Stream has 1 partition. This means, that only one of the parallel
instances of the Flink Kafka Consumer ever receives element, which in turn means that only
one of the parallel instances of the timestamp extractor ever receives elements. This means
that no watermarks get emitted for the other parallel instances which in turn means that the
watermark does not advance downstream because the watermark at an operator is the minimum
over all upstream watermarks. This explains why ExampleTimestampExtractor1 only works in the
case with parallelism=1.

> > The reason why ExampleTimestampExtractor2 works in all parallelism settings is not
very obvious. The secret is in this method:

> > @Override
> > public long getCurrentWatermark() {
> >   return lastTimestamp - maxDelay;
> > }
> >
> > In the parallel instances that never receive any element lastTimestamp is set to
Long.MIN_VALUE. So “lastTimestamp - maxDelay” is (Long.MAX_VALUE - maxDelay (+1)). Now,
because the watermark at an operator is always the minimum over all watermarks from upstream
operators the watermark at the window operator always tracks the watermark of the parallel
instance that receives elements.

> > I hope this helps, but please let me know if I should provide more explanation.
This is a very tricky topic.

> > Cheers,
> > Aljoscha
> >
> >> On 29 Nov 2015, at 21:18, Konstantin Knauf <konstantin.knauf@tngtech.com>
wrote:

> >> Hi Aljoscha,
> >>
> >> I have put together a gist [1] with two classes, a short processing
> >> pipeline, which shows the behavior and a data generator to write records
> >> into Kafka. I hope I remembered everything we discussed correctly.
> >>
> >> So basically in the example it works with "TimestampExtractor1" only for
> >> parallelism 1, with "TimestampExtractor2" it works regardless of the
> >> parallelism. Run from the IDE.
> >>
> >> Let me know if you need anything else.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Konstantin
> >>
> >> [1] https://gist.github.com/knaufk/d57b5c3c7db576f3350d

you maybe send me example code (and example data if it is necessary to reproduce the problem.)?
This would really help me pinpoint the problem.

that the TimestampExtractor sometimes emits a watermark that is lower than the one before.
(This is the result of the bug with Long.MIN_VALUE I mentioned before). The stream operators
wait for watermarks from all upstream operators and only advance the watermark monotonically
in lockstep with them. This way, the watermark cannot decrease at an operator.

In that case the operators are chained. (There is no separate operators but basically only
one operator and element transmission happens in function calls). In this setting the watermarks
are directly forwarded to operators without going through the logic I mentioned above.

I do

element should not be a problem. It could become a problem with higher data-rates since the
system can get overwhelmed if every element also generates a watermark. In that case I would
suggest storing the lastest element-timestamp in an internal field and only emitting in getCurrentWatermark(),
since then, then the watermark interval can be tunes using the auto-watermark interval setting.

you currently have. Would you maybe be willing to send me some (mock) example data and the
code so that I can reproduce the problem and have a look at it? to aljoscha at apache.org.

watermark updated.

It just affects

go a bit into how the TimestampExtractor works internally.

the value of the last emitted watermark. Then, the semantics of the TimestampExtractor are
as follows :
it replaces the internal timestamp of the element
than the last watermark the new value is emitted as a watermark and the value is stored
auto-watermark interval, if the returned value is larger than the last watermark it is emitted
and stored as last watermark

can only advance if a new element arrives, because only then is the watermark updated.

is that the window-operator also emits all the windows that it currently has buffered if the
program closes. This happens in the case of fromElements because only a finite number of elements
is emitted, after which the source closes, thereby finishing the whole program.

problem Aljoscha?

ezt írta (időpont: 2015. nov. 16., H, 10:39):
> [...]
same TimestampExtractor-Class.

example.

2015-11-16T10:35:37.260+01:00

timestamps after

when you are using env.fromCollection().

after the Kafka source that just prints the element and forwards it? To see if the elements
come with a good timestamp from Kafka.

Flink (0.10) and Kafka.

like [1], which just
a POJO. In my streaming job, I read in