flink-user mailing list archives

From Chiwan Park <chiwanp...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usage of Hadoop 2.2.0
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 04:19:59 GMT
+1 for dropping Hadoop 2.2.0

Regards,
Chiwan Park

> On Sep 4, 2015, at 5:58 AM, Ufuk Celebi <uce@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1 to what Robert said.
>
> On Thursday, September 3, 2015, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org> wrote:
> I think most cloud providers moved beyond Hadoop 2.2.0.
> Google's Click-To-Deploy is on 2.4.1
> AWS EMR is on 2.6.0
>
> The situation for the distributions seems to be the following:
> MapR 4 uses Hadoop 2.4.0 (current is MapR 5)
> CDH 5.0 uses 2.3.0 (the current CDH release is 5.4)
>
> HDP 2.0  (October 2013) is using 2.2.0
> HDP 2.1 (April 2014) uses 2.4.0 already
>
> So both vendors and cloud providers are multiple releases away from Hadoop 2.2.0.
>
> Spark does not offer a binary distribution lower than 2.3.0.
>
> In addition to that, I don't think that the HDFS client in 2.2.0 is really usable in
production environments. Users were reporting ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exceptions for some jobs,
I also had these exceptions sometimes.

> The easiest approach  to resolve this issue would be  (a) dropping the support for Hadoop
2.2.0
> An alternative approach (b) would be:
>  - ship a binary version for Hadoop 2.3.0
>  - make the source of Flink still compatible with 2.2.0, so that users can compile a
Hadoop 2.2.0 version if needed.

> I would vote for approach (a).
>

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org> wrote:
> While working on high availability (HA) for Flink's YARN execution I stumbled across
some limitations with Hadoop 2.2.0. From version 2.2.0 to 2.3.0, Hadoop introduced new functionality
which is required for an efficient HA implementation. Therefore, I was wondering whether there
is actually a need to support Hadoop 2.2.0. Is Hadoop 2.2.0 still actively used by someone?