flink-user mailing list archives

From "Wang, Yanping" <yanping.w...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Benchmark results between Flink and Spark
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:32:16 GMT
Hi,

I am new to Flink community. I am interested in comparing Spark’s feature and performance
vs. Spark.
Does anyone know if there is any benchmark or test available for testing Spark performance
on servers that has 32 plus cores and 256GB plus memory?

Thanks
-yanping

From: Fabian Hueske [mailto:fhueske@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2015 10:18 AM
To: user@flink.apache.org
Subject: Re: Benchmark results between Flink and Spark

Thanks for sharing, Slim!

I had a look at the report (except for two pages which were not available in the preview).
It compares four different tasks on a setup with 4 rather small nodes (8 cores, 16GB memory).
I could not find which versions of Flink and Spark were compared.
The comparison tasks are:
1) WordCount for "batch processing"
2) KMeans for "Machine-learning"
3) PageRank for "Graph-processing"
4) Some kind of relational query (details probably in the two missing pages)
Flink outperforms Spark in all tasks except WordCount.
The results should not be taken too serious due to the small number of nodes and low number
of different tasks (only one task characterizes a task category). K-Means and Wordcount are
certainly not representative for the very diverse categories machine-learning and "batch processing".
Same applies for relational processing which could be a single table aggregation or a cascade
of a dozen joins.
The results are very motivating though :-)
I hope to see more independent benchmarks in the future.

Hi Slim!

Thank you for the link.

Unfortunately, I cannot access the contents. I always get a "connection closed" error.

Anybody else experiences something similar?

Stephan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Slim Baltagi <sbaltagi@gmail.com<mailto:sbaltagi@gmail.com>>