flink-user mailing list archives

From Bill Sparks <jspa...@cray.com>
Subject RE: data conversion between flink and "other" paradigms
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 08:28:16 GMT
Fabian.

Thanks for the info and pointer to python. I'll check it out.

-Bill

________________________________
From: Fabian Hueske [fhueske@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2015 3:23 AM
To: user@flink.apache.org
Subject: Re: data conversion between flink and "other" paradigms

Hi Bill,

a DataSet is just a logical concept in Flink. DataSets are often not persisted and just streamed
along operators. At the moment, there is no way to access an intermediate DataSet of a Flink
program directly (this might change in the future).

You can process data in another function by implementing a Java user function (for example
a MapPartition function) and sending the data through JNI to a C function (if you need the
full data set, you must set the parallelism to 1). Flink's Python API follows a similar approach
to ship data from Flink to an external Python process.

Best, Fabian

Just a question if there was some prior-art here. Just say someone wanted to use flink for
processing, but at some point they wanted to call another function via say JNI/C which doesn't
understand DataSet's. How would one go about this ... I'm assuming the code would have to
convert the data to a common format prior to calling the function.

Regards,

   Bill.