flink-user mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Python vs Scala - Performance
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:17:18 GMT
Hi Max,

the Python API is still in an early beta state and builds on the Java API
as said before. All framework processing (sorting, joining, data shipping,
etc.) is done in Java. Whenever, a Python user function needs to be called,
the data is given to an external Python process and later received back.
The Python API tries to reduce the number of switches between Java and
Python, but the cost is quite high.

You can expect a slowdown of at least 2x, probably more. That depends of
course on your job.

Cheers, Fabian