flink-user mailing list archives

From Emmanuel <ele...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Scaling a Flink cluster
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:43:25 GMT
I see...
Because of the start-cluster script, I was under the impression that the jobmanager had to
connect to each node upon start-up, which would make scaling an issue without restarting the
job manager, but it makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Side question:what happens if the job manager fails? Taskmanagers keep running the jobs? Should
a typical production setup include multiple jobmanagers for replication, and if so how is
that configured?

Emmanuel

-------- Original message --------
From: Stephan Ewen <sewen@apache.org>
Date:03/16/2015  1:09 AM  (GMT-08:00)
To: user@flink.apache.org
Subject: Re: Scaling a Flink cluster

Hi Emmanuel!

The slaves file is not needed on every node. It is only used by the
"start-cluster.sh" Script, which makes an ssh call to every host in that
file to start a taskmanager.

You can add a taskmanager to an existing flink cluster by simply calling
"taskmanager.sh start" on that machine (which should have a flink-conf.yaml
file). The flink-conf.yaml may actually be different for every taskmanager
as well, but that is a more uncommon setup...

Greetings,
Stephan