flink-user mailing list archives

From Emmanuel <ele...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Maintaining data locality with list of paths (strings) as input
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2015 19:31:20 GMT
I stand corrected: a file does not take an entire bloc, according to Hadoop: The Definitive
Guide. As Stephan mentioned it takes space in the namenode (150kb/file as i read). So the
limitation with many small files is with the capacity of the namenode.
Still the data, when replicated is distributed by the HDFS engine; I don't see how there can
be any assurance of the locality of the data. it's possible to figure where it is physically
located, but I'm not sure it can be predicted.
The whole idea behind Hadoop is to bring the computation to the data, and that's what YARN
does in distributing processing tasks. (Yahoo Dev network explains this well: https://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module1.html)
Is the Flink behavior mentioned native or is this something happening when running Flink on
YARN?

Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 19:16:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Maintaining data locality with list of paths (strings) as input
From: sewen@apache.org
To: user@flink.apache.org

Hi Guy,
This sounds like a use case that should workwith Flink.
When it comes to input handling, Flink differs a bit from Spark. Flink creates a set of input
tasks and a set of input splits. The splits are then on-the-fly assigned to the tasks. Each
task may work on multiple input spits, which are pulled from the JobManager. The input localization
also happens on the fly, as input tasks requests the next input split to process.
It should be possible to make sure this is executed in a data-local way, if the input splits
expose the location properly.

If you share a bit more information about how your input format looks like, we can definitely
help you to realize that.
As a side comment: Small files in HDFS do not take up 64 megabytes on disk, there must be
some confusion. In early versions of HDFS, there has been a big problem with small files,
because the Namenode was getting overloaded with metadata. This has gotten better, as far
as I know, but I am not sure if they have fully solved it.
Greetings,Stephan