flink-user mailing list archives

From Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timeout when starting JobManager within Eclipse for debugging purposes
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:57:45 GMT
Hi Mathias,

the timeout exception means that the actor system could not be started.
Usually this is the case if the hostname is not specified or if the
hostname cannot be looked up. The best way to see what is happening is to
turn on logging by providing a log4j.properties file with DEBUG logging.
Additionally you can turn on akka logging by inserting akka.loglevel: DEBUG
into the config file. A stripped down log4j config file looks the following:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

I just tried to reproduce your problem on my machine, but I did not
succeed. I started the JobManager with the config values

jobmanager.rpc.address: localhost
akka.loglevel: DEBUG

For debugging in general, it is important that now all blocking RPC calls
have now a timeout with the latest Akka changes. Thus, by blocking or
slowing down a receiving thread too long might trigger a timeout exception
on the receiving side. One can solve this problem by setting
akka.ask.timeout in the config to a high value. I'll also increase the
default timeout for local execution in one of the next commits.

If you still have the debugging problem, could you then send me the log
output.

Greets,

Till