flink-user mailing list archives

From Gyula Fóra <gyf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flink and Spark
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:37:21 GMT
Hey,

1-2. As for failure recovery, there is a difference how the Flink batch and
streaming programs handle failures. The failed parts of the batch jobs
currently restart upon failures but there is an ongoing effort on fine
grained fault tolerance which is somewhat similar to sparks lineage
tracking. (so technically this is exactly once semantic but that is
somewhat meaningless for batch jobs)

For streaming programs we are currently working on fault tolerance, we are
hoping to support at least once processing guarantees in the 0.9 release.
After that we will focus our research efforts on an high performance
implementation of exactly once processing semantics, which is still a hard
topic in streaming systems. Storm's trident's exaclty once semantics can
only provide very low throughput while we are trying hard to avoid this
issue, as our streaming system is capable of much higher throughput than
storm in general as you can see on some perf measurements.

3. There are already many ml algorithms implemented for Flink but they are
scattered all around. We are planning to collect them in a machine learning
library soon. We are also implementing an adapter for Samoa which will
provide some streaming machine learning algorithms as well. Samoa
integration should be ready in January.

4. Flink carefully manages its memory use to avoid heap errors, and
utilizing memory space as effectively as it can. The optimizer for batch
programs also takes care of a lot of optimization steps that the user would
manually have to do in other system, like optimizing the order of
transformations etc. There are of course parts of the program that still
needs to modified for maximal performance, for example parallelism settings
for some operators in some cases.

5. As for the status of the Python API I personally cannot say very much,
maybe someone can jump in and help me with that question :)

Regards,
Gyula