flink-user mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Job scheduling
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:07:06 GMT
Hi Flavio,

what exactly do you mean by scheduling?
Do you want to run a job in regular intervals or execute a complex workflow?

Oozie is primarily used to orchestrate the execution of MapReduce
workflows. Since, MR is a rather inflexible programming model, complex
tasks need to split up into multiple dependent jobs that are executed once
their predecessors have finished. Oozie orchestrates this execution.
In Flink, you can build a complex analysis flow as a single program and
execute it. Hence, there is no need for a workflow scheduler such as Oozie.

If you want to run a job in regular intervals, you can configure a cron
job, that starts executes the CLI client or implement a Java or Scala
program that submits jobs a certain points in time.

Best, Fabian