flink-user mailing list archives

From Anirvan BASU <anirvan.b...@inria.fr>
Subject Re: Flink Hackathon in Stockholm (October 8th / 9th)
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:42:00 GMT
Hello Kostasm Paris and others,

I have finally the green signal from our research director at INRIA for attending the Hackathon
at KTH Stockholm.

My goals in attending the hackathon are the following:

Short-term - User perspective (right now):
- Understanding clearly the technical "entry-points" for programming with Flink
- Getting to know the right persons to ask the right questions (instead of thowing my issues
to everyone).
- Also, understanding the known issues what has been discussed, how they have resolved.
- This is required for rolling-up our sleeves and getting into serious programming in our
EIT-ICT project work.

Mid-term - architectural perspective (in coming months):
- Transcending to a better understanding of the architecture of the different components
- The relative performances in the different areas - graph-based algorithms, machine learning,
relational aspects.
- This towards developing a clear and precise comparison with 2 other distributed frameworks
- Hadoop (baseline) and Spark (similar).
We plan to publish a conference article soon.

Long-term - enhancement perspective (beginning of next year)
- For the coming 2 years (starting next year), I will be involved in a core project for enhancing
our Grid'5000 tailored to Big Data frameworks - Hadoop, Flink, Spark are the candidates.
- Adapting a Software Defined Network, 1-click deployment and better virtualisation are also
the key goals of this project.
- As I know ( a little) of Flink, it will be the first candidate to thrust forward.
- In this regard, we will be developing modules that can communicate with switches (through
SDN controllers layer) to adapt job scheduling and network resources vice-versa.
- I am also analysing and comparing speculative execution policies in the presence/absence
of generic resource managers (YARN, Mesos)

Given the above, I believe that our Grid'5000 project and the Flink evolution are Win-Win
complementaries.
All that said, I plan to observe and listen to most of your discussions, make friends and
perhaps ask a few stupid questions to embarrass myself ...
Have some baggage with strictly-typed langs (Java, C++) jack-of-all-trades with dynamic langs
(Python, R - good for Big Data analytics) and recently learning to appreciate Scala (million
thanks to Vasiliki and Aljoscha).
Have read some fo your presentations and scientific papers. So won't go totally dumb.
Feel free to place me in any gathering you feel, even at the corner of a room if required.

I hope we can all live up to my presence in your Hackathon and benefit from there.

And now the local Vikings, if you can help me to find me a reasonable accommodation in the
city centre, I would feel very motivated to appreciate your beautiful city in this autumn
weather.

Thank you so much for your help and understanding!
Anirvan