flink-dev mailing list archives

From Timo Walther <twal...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] FLIP-24 - SQL Client
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2017 15:53:29 GMT
Hey everyone,

in the past, the community already asked about having a way to write
Flink jobs without extensive programming skills. During the last year we
have put a lot of effort in the core of our Table & SQL API. Now it is
time to improve the tooling around it as well and make Flink more
accessible. I already opened an issue for adding a SQL CLI client [0].
We developed a small protoype at data Artisans that was shown at the
last Flink Forward Berlin [1].

For Flink 1.5 it would be great to offer at least a CLI client to play
around with Flink and use it for debugging/demo purposes. We created a
FLIP-24 [2] that roughly sketches the functionality and architecture. We
also show how this architecture can evolve from a CLI client to a SQL
gateway/REST server. Most of it is still up for dicussion. The targeted
minimum viable product for Flink 1.5 should act as a start for
collecting feedback and attracting contributors.

So feedback on this FLIP is very welcome. What do you think?

Regards,
Timo

[1]
https://berlin-2017.flink-forward.org/kb_sessions/from-streams-to-tables-and-back-again-a-demo-of-flinks-table-sql-api/