flink-dev mailing list archives

From Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:21:53 GMT
We recently moved flink-shaded to GitBox; overall I'm quite happy with
how it works.

However, it is not possible for committers to push commits that haven't
gone through the github/asf
account linking process (https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/).

I verified this today in an experiment with the help of Robert.

The linking process requires every committer to join the ASF github
organization, include their github username
in the apache profile, and setup 2-factor-authorization for their github
account.

While i would love to have the gitbox functionality for the Flink
repository I don't know whether we want to
impose these requirements on all committers.

On 21.06.2017 19:49, Robert Metzger wrote:
> +1 for trying out Gitbox!
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Greg Hogan <code@greghogan.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that with GitBox project committers who have linked
>> Apache and GitHub accounts are given organization write permissions. Other
>> contributors will continue to have read permissions.
>>    https://help.github.com/articles/repository-permission-levels-for-an-
>> organization/
>>
>> The last comment noting the “split-brain” shouldn’t preclude the use of
>> GitBox but we should come to a general consensus before switching to commit
>> into the GitHub repo.
>>
>> If we want to try GitHub for flink-web, a second step could to switch and
>> use with the nascent flink-libraries.
>>

>>> On Jun 18, 2017, at 6:50 AM, Chesnay Schepler <chesnay@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Found some info in this JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/
>> jira/browse/INFRA-14191
>>> Apparently, Gitbox is still in the beta phase. There are no public docs
>> for it yet.
>>> Committers are required to link their apache & GitHub accounts, which
>> requires 2FA on GitHub.
>>> As it stands I would be in favor of Gregs original suggestion of
>> activating it for flink-web as a test bed.
>>> I would wait with the main repo until we actually have more info and it
>> is a bit more proven.

>> that

>> attention in

>> yet.