flink-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Hogan <c...@greghogan.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 16:53:45 GMT
Is this not two different issues?
- adding builds for Scala 2.12
- upgrading to Java version 1.8

It may be time to switch, but I haven’t seen anything in FLINK-5005 which prevents simply
adding Scala 2.12 to our supported build matrix and continuing to build 2.10 / 2.11 against
Java 1.7.

Greg

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 11:39 AM, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> as promised in March, I want to revive this discussion!
>
> Our users are begging for Scala 2.12 support [1], migration to Akka 2.4 would solve a
bunch of shading / dependency issues (Akka 2.4 will remove Akka's protobuf dependency [2][3])
and generally Java 8's new language features all speak for dropping Java 7.

<mailto:theodoros.vasiloudis@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm sure you've considered this already, but what this data does not include is all the
potential future users,
> i.e. slower moving organizations (banks etc.) which could be on Java 7 still.
>
> Whether those are relevant is up for debate.
>
> Cheers,
> Theo
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org <mailto:rmetzger@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Yeah, you are right :)
> I'll put something in my calendar for end of May.
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Greg Hogan <code@greghogan.com <mailto:code@greghogan.com>>
wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Thanks for the report. Shouldn’t we be revisiting this decision at the beginning of
the new release cycle rather than near the end? There is currently little cost to staying
with Java 7 since no Flink code or pull requests have been written for Java 8.

> Greg
>

>> On Mar 23, 2017, at 6:37 AM, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org <mailto:rmetzger@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Looks like 9% on twitter and 24% on the mailing list are still using Java 7.
>>
>> I would vote to keep supporting Java 7 for Flink 1.3 and then revisit once we are
approaching 1.4 in September.

>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Bowen Li <bowen.li@offerupnow.com <mailto:bowen.li@offerupnow.com>>
wrote:
>> There's always a tradeoff we need to make. I'm in favor of upgrading to Java 8 to
bring in all new Java features.

>> The common way I've seen (and I agree) other software upgrading major things like
this is 1) upgrade for next big release without backward compatibility and notify everyone
2) maintain and patch current, old-tech compatible version at a reasonably limited scope.
Building backward compatibility is too much for an open sourced project